Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Top 8 And Variations on a Theme



“I've not been really looking forward to the performance
But there's my cue and there's a question on your face
Fortunately I have come across an answer
Which is go away
And do not leave a trace”
                --The White Stripes

There are people who like Adam and I like these people just fine.  There are people who do not like Adam and I like those people just fine as well.  I’m sure there are people who either have a shrine to or want to actually murder Adam and it’s very possible I would like those people too (OK, that is a lie).   As you may know by now, I am in the camp of those who dislike him and I want to apologize to you who are in the liking him camp because it seems like I have to write at least one thing a year about what a total dick he is (and I’m going to keep this short because we’ve all read this before) – but you saw it yourselves last week, didn’t you?  It wasn’t his usual thing about finding the perfect song that is not in his contestant’s range and then just expect them to step up and hit it, it wasn’t his tendency to make any success his contestant has be all about him (and to be fair, that is not just Adam), but this, this my friends was something far different.  This was a coach giving up, dusting his hands off and casually tossing his people under a bus.  It’s as if a football coach said “ah, fuck it” and walked out at the end of the third quarter.  It is coachus interruptus.

Picture Blake after one of his singers perform.  He is on his feet clapping like he just learned the meaning of life.  Pharrell stands and delivers his wide eyed Gaze of Wonder.  Even Xtina gives her slightly arched eyebrow of appreciation.   In contrast, Adam says “yeah, so I thought you could hit that high note with power (that you’ve never really shown an ability to hit) but it just didn’t pay off”.  What the hell.  Blake’s guy forgot a lyric and Blake called him out on it – but not until he had already gushed about how fantastic his guy was and how he knew his fans would still stick with him.  I think Joshua should have flipped him off.

Enough of that.  How’d you guys like the producers?  I liked them and saw that as a sign of just how desperate NBC is to have a breakout star come out of this show to stop the main criticism.  But they were fascinating!  I don’t know what Mark Ronson takes but man I want some.  Everything he said was like some observation he had been pondering for months.  It is very interesting to see how a good producer can shape a song and the type of craftsmanship that The Voice shows so well.  I would like to see more like that.  Also am happy that we are at the point where the songs get longer.  Mostly.

What Deb could do without is the opening medley which never fails to have her hammering the fast forward button.  Unfortunately I was jotting something down so asked her to just let the Elton John medley play, and she was DYING (to be fair, it sounded awful to me too).  When I finally told her go ahead and forward she just said “that was truly a thing of horror.”

A BRUTAL WEEK FOR HUMMINGBIRD LIGHTFOOT.  Here’s how I ranked them this week:

Nobody picked Koryn Hawthorne to be in the finals.  You have to wonder, right?  I can’t think of anyone on a higher trajectory right now, like Chris Jamison last year after he figured it out.  She was just great though the melisma bothers me a little bit.

But here’s the thing.  You’ve got Koryn, Kimberly and India as big voiced women (I’m not counting Hannah or Meghan because they are different kinds of singers).  Who cancels who out?  I don’t think there is room for all three.  For the record I had Kimberly second and India third this week – all I ever write down for Kimberly is “she is dynamite”.  I had a note that India sounded very much a stage singer this week, mentioned it to my wife who reminded me that this was the song she auditioned for the stage which I had missed because I was writing something down but it must have stuck in the back of my mind.  Anyway, she did sound like the stage might just be her niche.

Sawyer is crazy talented and was goo but that was my least favorite showing from him.  I had Meghan after that but I don’t trust anything I think about Meghan.  Was that her boyfriend in the audience?  He was goofy looking!

Despite what I say about Adam I think he did have a point with Joshua – he came off as not being able to totally let loose, and every line started out as a kind of whisper, even when the tempo picked up.  I don’t know what the hell Adam was talking about though when he said “you’ve been kind of doing older stuff all along”.  Well, except for that other new song two weeks ago, yeah, totally old stuff.  Dick.

Deb:  I want Hannah gone so bad.  I thought she was fine, but she is a performer more than a singer and for an arrangement that was trying not to be so 80’s it totally failed because that was so 80’s it made me want to find my destructed acid wash and listen to Simple Minds.

I’m worried that Rob’s dad just showed back up in his life to cash in on that sweet sweet Voice experience.  I hope not and I was sorry to see him go because he seems like a super nice kid but man, that was boring.

Cory Kent White desperately needs some grit because he looked like a fratboy trying to be an outlaw.  But BOY I loved that song!  I just wish someone else had sung it.

Finally, Deanna, she of the lovely moment a couple weeks back faded away, whether from nerves or song choice or whatever – for me it was another example of a song (and performance) I’ve heard way too many times before.  Deb is sad because she loved the outfits they had her wearing.

So Jim loses two and is down to just Meghan Linsey.  Our teams still with two remaining are Debbie Eaglesong who is just hanging behind Barry (no name changes Ed!) and Koala Fluffybaby.  THIS IS GOING TO COME DOWN TO THE WIRE MY FRIENDS!!!

10 comments:

  1. Kimberly Nichole - "Something's Got a Hold on Me”
    Never heard Etta James’ version. Never saw BURLESQUE so didn’t have the chance to see Xtina sing it either. Kimberly was really good. Even sans tutu.

    Joshua Davis - Hold Back the River
    I know SizFiz is glad he can stick around to make her some points, but come on. That was boring. And I can’t bring myself to watch his Won’t Back Down performance. That song is almost as bad as Don’t Come Around Here No More. Almost.

    Hannah Kirby - Shout
    Every time she announces what song she is going to sing I laugh and laugh. She always surprises me. I can’t watch the performance, though. I feel like her getting voted in by America is like voting for Carrie as prom queen. When she finally leaves, The Voice will burst into flames.

    Megan Linsey - Home
    I’m liking her more and more. How come I don’t know any of these songs? Help me, Megan Linsey. You’re my only hope. Carol and I saw that guy who may or not be her boyfriend. Interesting couple if he is.

    Koryn Hawthorne - Make It Rain
    WTFuck. That was awesome. I know Ed Sheeran exists. Have no idea what he sounds like. He doesn’t look like he can sound like this. I don’t even know if I like the song. I just know I like how she sings it.

    Deanna Johnson - Somebody to Love
    I love this song. This is the song I had Koryn pegged to sing. Now she won’t because Deanna used it up. I’m surprised Deanna can sing as loud as she can. Her legs go, like, all the way up to her neck leaving no room for lungs and stuff. She’s got legs but she don’t know how to use them. She needed to move around a lot more. I didn’t want to lose her, but I totally understand it.

    Rob Taylor - Song For You
    I love this song even more. I know everyone is all Donny Hathaway, and some are all Leon Russell, and my god everyone seems to have done a version, but this has always been Willie Nelson’s song for me. Strangely, Rob didn’t do Willie’s version. It was still good, though. He didn’t deserve to go. That would be Joshua. I feel bad for Rob, because it didn’t seem to matter how good he is, people just don’t like him. UNFAIR.

    CKW - Unwound
    Deb is going to win, and The Voice will be ruined in the process.

    Sawyer - Iris
    I always hated this song. Sawyer is starting to grate a bit. Too bad.

    India - Run to You
    I want her to do Run To Me by BeeGees next.
    Then Band On The Run by Wings.
    Then Born To Run by Bruce.
    Then Running Scared by Roy Orbison.
    Then Running With The Devil by Van Halen.
    Then I’ll be happy, but not until then.

    I tried not to be the first one to write after Pat posted, but I couldn’t wait any longer. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that Jim has written, I can say... Well frankly, I don't remember what I thought. Except I once again enjoyed Koryn. I don't get to hear the commentary anymore, so I can't poke fun at that. I always thought Mark Ronson was older than he looked on the show. Strange that Christina can actually look better on the voice than she does on Nashville.

      That's it... Nothing of substance. I just could not let Jim be alone here.

      Oh, and it is Pat's birthday today! Happy Birthday!!

      Delete
    2. Happy belated bday, Pat!!!

      I'm on the fence about Adam - some days I like him, some days I don't - but I thought this week's Twitter save really highlighted how bad he is at appealing to the audience to save his singers. It feels like he's just defeated already and doesn't have the energy to really make an effort. Contrast that with Xtina who I feel like was more genuine in her appeal to save Rob than I've ever seen her. I'm hoping this is Xtina's year to win (and I'd feel that way without having India on my team!!).

      Delete
    3. What?

      I was wrong. I was wrong. Thank God Almighty, I was gloriously wrong.

      Sorry, Deb.

      Delete
  2. Awww, happy belated birthday! I hope you strutted around saying "Haters gonna hate" all day!
    Who'da thunk Fluffy Koalababy would have lasted this long?? But Koryn is revelation.
    The last two weeks, I watched too late to tweet and Voice Save live, so I ran to the kitchen and wrote #VoiceSaveDeanna, and #VoiceSaveRob, respectively, on the memo chalkboard. I thought it was a magic chalkboard the first week, but the magic was short lived.... even with that genuinely heart-felt plea from Xtina! I'm with Erin - I'd love her to win! Well, I'd love ME to win, but I'd love her to win! Confession: I've been voting for her team online, along with my girls. I call for my girls, and I bought Koryn's version of Stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Spoiler:

    Is Sting a producer for The Voice?
    Or maybe he’s going to be a coach next season?
    Ooh, I bet that’s it. Team Sting RULES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told Debbie when that song came on "you just KNOW Jim is giggling his ass off right now."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and thank you all for the birthday wishes! I had a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did giggle, and I’d do again, too.

    ReplyDelete